Women and Girls Network (WGN) was established in 1987 and has spent over 30 years supporting women and girls across London affected by gendered violence.
This includes childhood sexual abuse, domestic violence, rape, prostitution (including trafficking and sexual exploitation), female genital mutilation (FGM), and so-called 'honour' based crimes such as forced marriage.
Our free, women-only and survivor-led service offers a holistic response to women and girls who have experienced, or are at risk of, gendered violence.
The aim of our work is to create a safe, non-judgmental and non-directive space in which women and girls can explore their experiences, and know that they will be listened to and believed.
WGN is based on feminist principles, which has empowerment as a key concept. We understand that every woman's healing journey is unique, and our services are designed to offer women the opportunity to travel along on their journey.
Our goal is to promote, preserve, and restore the mental health and wellbeing of women and girls, to empower them to make a total and sustainable recovery from the experiences of violence.
I finally feel heard and have a sense of closure with which I am able to move forward.
Our services include:
- Specialist counselling services, offering one-to-one sessions with a female counsellor
- Advice service, including an advice line with trained advisors
- Specialist sexual violence helpline
- Young women's advocacy service (YWAP) and workshops
- Independent Sexual Violence Advocate (ISVA) service
- Workshops on self-esteem and confidence building
- Therapeutic group work
- Specialist advocacy and counselling for women with complex needs
- Body therapies, such as shiatsu and aromatherapy massage
- Accredited training programmes for frontline practitioners